Saturday, January 18, 2020

DAY 277: Snow Woes

We saw it coming a couple of weeks in advance. The dreaded snow dump of the winter was about to befall Vancouver. It got colder and colder, and the threat of snow drew closer in the forecast.


Part of me was excited to use my preconditioning function to melt all the frost on my windows. Years and years of scraping my car windows in the morning was coming to an end, and I wanted to enjoy every moment of that. Even though I barely did get any frost on the first freezing night, I videoed it anyway!


I also wanted to make good on having struggled so much installing my mudflaps. They were definitely doing their job. I just wished now that I put some PPF between the flap and the paint. I'm sure it's getting a little scratched up. *sigh*


Wednesday morning, the campus was closed, and I worked from home. But I preheated the car anyway to go and clear the snow away. That job has never been easier! I mean, seriously. I just kind of touched the snow, and it just practically slid off by itself -- very little effort needed. I loved it!


In fact, I helped my neighbour clear snow of his car afterwards, and wow... there was ice caked underneath all over the car. He was using a cheap snow brush. so I gave him my old one -- a really good quality one. I had bought a new scratchless snow brush for my Tesla, so I didn't need the old one anymore. He was appreciative.

By the way, this is a great product. Works like a charm!

https://www.amazon.ca/Garant-G63PSBT-Extra-Large-Telescoping-Scratch-Free/dp/B07HYRK3BC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=MW9TJEW4FHHN&keywords=garant+snow+brush+scratch+free&qid=1579399459&sprefix=garant+snow+brush+scratch%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-1
But Thursday morning, had an epic fail getting my RWD Tesla from its parking spot on the street. 40 minutes of slipping and sliding and ended up like this in the picture. A kind stranger, 18 years professional driver, helped dig me out and get my car back in place. He didn't know what kind of car I had. When I told him it's electric and the motor was in the back, he immediately knew how to get me out. No criticism. Just troubleshooted the problem. Super appreciated his kindness and lack of criticism.


Before anyone thinks this proves Teslas can't handle snow, consider this: I didn't switch to winter tires (though what I have now is M+S rated), and I've never driven a RWD before this year, let alone in the snow. When I got out of my car, I immediately slipped on the ice below the snowy surface. Arg! No car, gas or electric, would have been able to grip anything under there! Honestly, I probably got too cocky. I should have known better than to try.

But this is the AMAZING thing. The fact that I got this far out of the parking spot was because of SLIP START! This function is FRIGGIN AMAZING! That motion to rock back and forth when you are stuck in the snow? That's what it did. I couldn't believe it. SO COOL!!!!
Anyway, stay safe out there!

******

The other big story for me, is that my Tesla shares are on a tear! I sold about half of them when it hit $490 -- down to my original investment amount. It's just to switch them out of my RRSP and into my TFSA. I should have done it a long time ago.



But I want to get it down before I lose out more. I'll invest the free profit I made into some dividend stocks. Over in my TFSA, I'm planning to sell my Canadian dividend stock (after the ex dividend date), and then hope that Q1 will bring the Tesla stock back down to where I bought it. You see, literally the DAY AFTER I sold my Tesla stock, it shot up another $48!! After that, another $23. This is why I don't want to be a day trader. It's too emotionally stressful. But the stock is slowing coming back down now. It's still over $500, but I'm hoping it will dip a little more. I've never been in the position rooting Tesla stock to take a little dive. LOL.


It's a very exciting time for Tesla. The success of the China Gigafactory starting deliveries, and the prospect that the Model Y will deliver ahead of schedule. Tesla's doing well!

Tesla China opening day celebration picture
Being a fan of Tesla has so many upsides. I've had a blast learning about this car and all the new ways to think about transport. I am actually considering moving FURTHER away from work (where the rent is cheaper) knowing that the commute is the best part of my day. Weird, huh?

***********

Today's Odometre Reading: 41,257 kms

-->My Referral Code: somi22310


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding! :)