Thursday, August 1, 2019

DAY 108: Montana, You are So Beautiful!

I’m positive that hotel I stayed at last night had bed bugs, and was probably a thousand years old (or at least smelled like it). Hot breakfast was... well, they got the “hot” part right. To call that breakfast, I’d say you had to be very choosy. Stick with the fruit and yogurt, and you’ll probably be okay. The service is good, so it wasn’t a total loss.

I’m starting to think that sleeping over at a rest stop may be more comfortable than these hotels I’m staying at. They seem to be full of truckers stopping for the night to sleep, and even other travellers and their families, saving a buck on hotels, and snoozing in the car. I’m feeling like that’s a community that would be safe enough. The bonus with my Tesla is that if someone tried to pull the handles or broke the glass while I’m in there, the alarm would likely sound, and I could take off in an instant. The cabin temperature would be consistent, the seats are ridiculously comfortable, even reclined, and falling asleep to immersive surround sound sounds wonderful. I’d have to make sure I have a good amount of charge before doing so.

But to put my mother’s heart at ease, I’m at another hotel tonight. This one is already looking better than last night.

*****

I asked that hotel (last night) if there might be any charging spots in the parking lot. No, but, she said all the lamp posts have a regular outlet on them. They are active as long as the lamp post is on — which means ALL NIGHT! While that sounded perfect, and I was looking forward to pulling out my pink contractor-grade extension cord I borrowed from my brother for emergencies, I decided I had enough charge to last me to the next supercharger.

The next morning, before I left, a fellow (I assume) Model 3 owner parked beside me at the last lamp post available:



Hey, this is the new normal — “gas up” while you sleep! Hehe!

*****

I checked my navigation and it said that I would be able to skip the next supercharger and still get to the next one with 13% charge left. That seemed reasonable so I went for it. Shortly after skipping that next supercharger, the mountains of Montana appeared.

Okay, first of all, they were breath-taking. When full-self driving finally kicks in, I’m going to enjoy taking photos from the road. I was awe-struck!

But then I got a warning — “Stay below 75 mph to reach your next destination.” I think most experienced Tesla owners know that the estimated range on your battery isn’t really what you will use. The car has so much background and additional functions that draw energy from the battery, that most of us are smart enough not to trust the estimate fully. The big surprise is how much more energy you use from the battery when you SPEED! Yes, Sparky was estimating both the arrival charge and arrival time based on going speed limit. He’ll never learn.

I faithfully pulled my speed down to 74 mph, and then hoped it would work given all the inclines I was driving. Honestly, this is the first REAL range anxiety I have experienced since taking delivery. I took a peek at how much charge I would have left when I arrived at the Superior, MT Supercharger, and it said 1%. *sweat beads start*. That’s basically saying “I don’t know if you are even going to make it.”

But here’s the magic of having an electric car! What goes up must come down, and while I may be using more energy to climb the mountain (which it looks like the navigation took into account), on the way down, I gained energy back. The combination of reducing the speed and charging the battery on the decline rose my estimated arrival charge to 9%. It was so spectacular, that once I got back to level ground, I increased the speed back up over 75 mph. No warning. I was good to go!

My battery level was easily about 8-10% when I got to the Superior, MT Supercharger.

*****

Okay, I want to put a plug here about the Conoco Gas Station that is hosting Superchargers in Superior, MT. Nicest owner who is incredibly invested in her business and just a bright light to all her customers. I thanked her for hosting Superchargers, because it makes such a difference. She said she’s had them for about 4 years now, and they are great. When it snows in the winter, she personally shovels the snow away every day so Tesla owners can use them. The store and bathrooms are so clean, and she has really thought through what to offer in her little store, because it has pretty much everything you would want on the road!



*****

Doesn’t Spark look happy sitting there at the Missoula, MT Supercharger? 



Loved this one. Resort-like Best Western (with a great reception), and a Starbucks right next to it!

*****

The next Supercharger in Big Timber, MT was also a win. The store is amazing. I mean, the options are great, and there’s even a gift shop there. In addition, there was something there that I wished other establishments would do. There was a trash can and a squeegee to wipe down your windshield (did I mention, it rains bugs around here!)



But if you look at the supercharger, it’s damaged. Here’s a closer look:



Thank goodness it still works, but it was raining, so I would imagine rain is getting inside.

So this is either another result of EV-hate (after all, this is gas truck country), or there’s a Tesla out there with a damaged behind! I’ll report it to Tesla and let them know.

*****

Okay so the beauty of the drive was driving me crazy (pun intended). So on the next incline, I saw there was a rest stop. I took it so I could finally take a picture.



But first, I really needed to go to the ladies room. That coffee was finally hitting my bladder! When I got out of the car, the air was full of chirping from the bushes. I could tell because it would get louder and softer as I walked closer or away from the bushes. I was thinking — “Wow, those are so loud crickets! They must be ginormous!!!” On my way back from the ladies room, I saw this sign:



AAAAAHHHHHHHH!! Suddenly, that chirping sounds like rattles. Freaking out, I quickly took the picture of Sparky, then got in and sped away! Sorry, I don’t do snakes!

I would have peeled off... but you know, I have an EV. HAHA!

*****

I did notice during some of the more open roads in Montana, Sparky seemed like he was driving a little drunk. Swerving back and forth, but never out of the lane. There were times I wanted to slow it down, but it never felt like Sparky was getting out of control. I figured it was wind, but I really couldn’t tell. I looked carefully at the trees, but they must have had very strong branches, because they barely moved. Then I saw a large pond to my right, and the waves on it made it clear... it must be VERY windy outside.

I was impressed at how well my Tesla was handling the wind. And now the swerving I saw with other cars made sense. I slowed down a bit, but I didn’t have to too much. I was good. Sparky figured out all of the problems and adjusted as needed 

Seriously... SAFEST CAR IN THE WORLD!

*****

Today’s Odometre Reading: 14,193 kms

KMs traveled on this road trip so far: 1575 kms

My referral code: somi22310


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding! :)