Tuesday, August 6, 2019

DAY 113: Chicago!!

I’ve just been super blessed by so many first experiences — and bucket list items checked off.

I am convinced that owning this Tesla, this amazing piece of machinery that is so much more than a car, has opened my life to adventures I have only dreamed about for the past 20 years. I am feeling like that bucket list I have stored in my head is now going to need some serious updating now that I’m checking items off. I have always wanted to go to Chicago for a few of these “bucket list” reasons, and my Tesla has finally given me the financial and physical opportunity to make it all happen. My heart is full of gratitude!

*****

My brother is an artist in Anaheim, and he has the opportunity to visit baseball parks around the country, drawing something completely original at that ballpark, and having Twitter followers all over who vy to be the first to arrive at his seat (which he Twitters after the drawing is done), and capture a one-of-a-kind drawing of his “ballpark princess.”

His business is S. Preston Designs located at 321 West Katella Ave, Ste 136, Anaheim, CA 92802 (near Disneyland).

He was offered an original sketch drawing for a ballpark princess for the Kane County Cougars, a minor league baseball team near Chicago. When I had originally planned my road trip, I was going to leave on August 4th. But when I found out my brother was already going to be in Chicago on the 4th (with a complimentary 2-day hotel room), I “offered” to be his assistant for the day, in exchange for a clean bed to sleep in for the two nights. 

Well, yesterday (the day after his event), he had another big day. An exclusive interview with WGN News in Chicago... very big deal. The interviewer (I should have got his name) has about 20 Emmys to his name. The camera man is a fan and was eagerly filming tons of footage. My brother said the whole interview couldn’t have gone better. Everything that he would have liked to happen happened. 





And for me? It was a ballpark visit of a lifetime — the famed Wrigley Field! This is another bucket list item checked off my list! The weather was wonderful. Yes, hot and humid, but under 30 degrees Celsius, which is a total score.


















Now I’m nowhere near the expert on the traditions of the Chicago Cubs and their Wrigley Field sanctuary, but I know enough to understand how historic this place is. Gazing out to the Ivy-covered walls (that started growing, I believe, in the 1930’s), the fans, none of whom would dare show up without some kind of Cubs attire (I had to buy myself a Cubs hat as my token of earning my way in.) Originally, my brother said he would ask the mascot, Clark the Cub, for some tickets since I really wanted to go, and it turned into a huge ordeal with the WGN interview and meeting the mascot for his autograph and a picture!





The game itself had historical significance. It was an inter-league game, and the Oakland A’s had not visited Wrigley Field for the past 33 years. So it felt amazing to be there.

The downside was that I was ultra-exhausted from walking around downtown Chicago all morning, and did not realize I was completely de-hydrated by the time the game started. I tried my best to beat the humidity, but once you hit that stage of dehydration, it’s hard to come back without a good night’s sleep in a cooled room. Still, I did my best to soak up the experience.

*****

Back to the morning, we visited Millenium Park to see the big “bean” sculpture called “Cloud Gate” created by the Indian-born British artist, Sir Amish Kapoor. It is meant to reflect the city and park on its surface so you an witness a fish-eye view. It creates a fascinating view of yourself as well!





By the way, parking is expensive in downtown Chicago (no surprise). We pause $28 to park for 3 hours at the park. To our surprise, there were Tesla charging stations JUST inside the entrance. VIP Parking, baby! :)



I mean, Sparky didn’t need more juice, but why not top up while you’re there, and get the best parking spot in the parkade?!?!

At the park, there was also a massive outdoor stadium that hosts concerts... and the sound system was amazing! They were playing a public viewing of “Inside Out” at the time, and the speaker set up convinced me that an outdoor concert here would be a must-go!



As mentioned before, the weather was amazing. Is not-too-hot 28 degrees, and the humidy was reasonable. 

We spent the morning walking around downtown Chicago.







This is a picture of Willis Building... where I wanted to ride up to the top to catch a sketch view of the city. Alas, it was a two-hour wait, and there was no way we would make it to the hotel and the Cubs game in time. So I guess this is a “next time” activity for Chicago (along with the architecture boat ride).

Of course, we had to try some Chicago food! One the top of the list (which ended up being the last meal in Chicago) was the deep-dish pizza. We were urged with high recommendation to try two other places besides Girodano’s, but with the time-crunch, this is all we could go for. Next time, we will try Lou Malnati’s and Pequod’s Pizza.

When we ordered it, we were told it would take 45 minutes.... that was the minimum time of preparation. Worth it, even if it ate into time for other things.





This is a SMALL size! I mean, we completely freaked out when it came out... thinking we were originally going to order the medium so we could take some home. We both ate ONE piece each!!! LOL. I took one piece with me (for dinner... which is now in the fridge), and my brother took the rest with him on the plane.

In the city yesterday, I absolutely had to go try true Chicago popcorn. I had grown to really love the bagged versions I bought at Costco back in Vancouver, but I really wanted to try the real thing. I found a Garrett Popcorn Shop  Believe me, it did not disappoint! In fact, I think it has ruined me for any bagged versions ever... and probably saved my pocket book.







I asked for half-half thinking the caramel would be the better investment. It turns out, the cheese popcorn ended up being the big pleasant surprise. It’s like having this buttery coating of sharp salty cheese, freshly melted onto each popped kernel. The caramel version is only there to soften the salt. This was a tremendous surprise, and must be eaten fresh. I did bring a tin with me to give to my hosts in Toronto... hopefully it keeps its amazing quality!

Next was Stan’s Donuts which was right at the drop off where our Uber driver took us (we could not walk back to Sparky from Willis Building in the heat... when Uber only costs us $5!).  

Stan’s Donuts is also a MUST try. But eat it fresh. We had most of it a day later, and while good, not as good as on the same day. My favourite here is the Donut Croissant (I guess they can’t say cronut?) It was cream inside.





And finally, I am going to say it... Chicago hot dogs are the best in the world! I mean, I’m not a beef eater, but this might actually turn it around for me. The dill pickle wedges together with the sweet relish, fresh tomatoes, diced onions, psychedelic green sweet relish, celery salt, and yellow mustard... that combo can’t be beat. I know how I want my hot dogs from now on!! This pic does not do it justice!  But if you want the BEST Chicago hotdog in the city, I’m afraid you’re really going to have to pay for it... because it’s at the ballpark. Wrigley’s Field, getting a hot dog, and putting the toppings on yourself is the only way to go.  But Portillo’s was the next best thing.



*****

I let my brother driving Sparky all over the place. I mean, now that we were in crazy city traffic my poor sense of direction really kicked in with high gear. I was constantly lost, even with navigation!

The bonus was hearing my brother say “Yup, I’m sold.” The car really does sell itself. He had originally put down a deposit for two Model 3’s on March 31, 2016 when the reservations opened that morning, and eventually asked for a refund, having never driven one before. It was nice to let him finally give it a full try over two days to experience the crazy acceleration and immediate responsiveness. He figured out regenerative braking pretty fast, and it was kind of fun watching him freak out as he tried to learn to trust auto-pilot do its thing (especially brake for cars by itself). 

I’m not sure he’ll be buying one anytime soon. But I feel like everyone should at least try a Tesla once at some point in time, even if they never get one. This, more than anything, really does convince people that the EV era has arrived and isn’t going away anytime soon. Nothing sells like bums in seats.

*****

I’ve made it to Detroit tonight, and going to go on a city excursion tomorrow before heading back into Canada.  I’m most excited about the Henry Ford Museum, and hopefully a little bit of Motown.

*****

Today’s Odometre Reading: 17,168 kms

KMs traveled on this road trip so far: 3805 kms

My referral code: somi22310



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding! :)