Tuesday, August 27, 2019

DAY 133: SpaceX

I’ve always wanted to witness a rocket up close! NASA is definitely on my bucket list, along with a rocket launch by SpaceX. 

However, I am in the Los Angeles area which gives me the opportunity to poke around the SpaceX location and take a look at a reusable rocket booster on display for the public.

There was a super helpful tip in one of the Google Map reviews suggesting that I park at Lowes near the gardening section. That is a super pro tip. In the map it suggests that there is a visitor’s parking lot for SpaceX, but what I was doing did not constitute “visitor”. 



As I approached the building, I saw an overpass from a parkade across the street that no doubt was used by employees of SpaceX. There was an important test launch that day, so there were plenty of people walking across it. However, when I got near the parkade to hopefully get a good shot of the building from the overpass, I noticed it was locked with a notice that it was only for authorized employees. I would have to be content with the pictures from the street, which still turned out stunning. The colour of the building and booster against the beautiful blue sky fit perfectly together.







Seeing the booster up close, it was like a gigantic version of what I had seen in so many youtube videos of SpaceX launches where the first stage booster recoveries took place. I have no idea if this was the same size as those on the Falcon Heavy. I do know that (thanks to a slightly inconsiderate comment on my Tesla Facebook Group post) this particular booster on display was the first to go through the test flight up and down to confirm it could land successfully on the landing pad. My guess is that the boosters they land now from rockets that go to orbit are much bigger and more sophisticated. Space has the booster recovery down to a perfect science now!








On my walk back, I noticed something else that was familiar to me — the mock tower displayed at the Boring Company event. The gate was open, and I saw the display and the full length of the tower right down to the ground. I also saw items that had the Boring Company logo on them. I realized this was probably the manufacturing and test site for the Boring Company. As I took pictures of the tower, someone slowly came towards where I was standing and started to close the gate. I asked if I was allowed to take pictures, and he politely shook his head. That’s okay.

But here it is!






It was quite uneventful, and yet I was feeling thrilled. I had noticed on Google Maps earlier that there was also a couple of sites related to the BFR (Big Falcon Rocket)... the ship that was being developed that would eventually take humans to Mars. It was located about 17 minutes from there, but clearly in accessible for visitors or by-passers. So I strategized my trip and found a fish market on the coast just across from it.




Shameless, I know. But the location was perfect. A massive outdoor patio looking out to the area, with public binoculars stands meant to look for whales. Unfortunately, there was a big boat blocking the way between one of these binoculars and the location across the water. But I tried to see if I could see anything. That would be a negative. *sigh*





Well, it’s difficult to make out any definitive objects, but if Google Maps is correct (and it’s not a purposeful diversion), I’m sure I saw something of it. One day when the BFR is actually something to behold, I’m sure this location will be populated with people — and business! It’s actually a great spot to stop by, though my very delicious shrimp and chips was a little over-priced.







I believe as SpaceX continues their development of their rocket technology towards a trip to Mars, this excursion of mine will become more and more popular. It seems that the fascination of space has been reawakened in America (and the world), and the future looks to be very exciting.

Starhopper was supposed to take its last test flight this day in Houston, but was delayed a day.

Today, SUCCESS! Congratulations SpaceX and Elon Musk!



*****

This Day’s Odometre Reading: 26,770 kms

KMs traveled on this road trip so far: 13,408

My referral code: somi22310




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding! :)