Monday, August 26, 2019

DAY 131: Driving the California Coast

The previous day was full of mixed emotions. But there was nothing much I could do about what had happened, and definitely little I could do until I got back to Canada. So I made a commitment to not let it get to me so I could enjoy the rest of this epic road trip.

I chose to sleep in, to get the restful sleep I needed to survive the 8 hour drive to Irvine, CA.

Next it was to drop by Philz Coffee (friend recommended) and pick up a coffee and some breakfast. Great start!









I took my time, enjoyed the amazing avocado toast and custom brewed coffee. And then I asked Sparky to navigate to the coast where I would drive towards Monterey, a suggestion made from my favourite Tesla podcaster, Ryan McCaffery of Ride the Lightning Podcast. If you have not heard this podcast before, go to episode 200 for his interview with Elon Musk in person! Then go to Episode 197 where he plays my call for the “Tip of the Week”! #honoured

The route chosen was probably the only route available, though I’d like to think that Sparky wanted to show off his “stuff”. The snapshot of the route here is ALL uphill, and does not do justice to the elation of the real experience!



While I was able to put on autopilot for some of the drive, most of it was better served manually with one-pedal driving. It was incredible how smooth the drive was on the incline, despite the hairpin turns and wild S-curves. What an incredible car this Tesla is!!

When I got to the coast, it was a little overcast. But this did not detract from the beauty of the drive. The scenery is stunning!



I didn’t take too much time stopping, but there are plenty of viewpoints to take advantage of on this drive. Next time, I will give myself a lot more time and make this a full afternoon drive with plenty of moments to stop and breath in the beauty!

There is a Supercharger stop near Monterey in Seaside, CA that has a lounge! It’s not as big and comprehensive as Kettleman City, but you do need a code, and it does have some refreshments and good wifi there!




*****

Arriving in Los Angeles, there was a part of me that braced myself for more aggressive driving like I saw in the Bay Area. But I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, there are some drivers who may take a bit too much liberty with their insistence on speeding in traffic by weaving in and out of lanes without signaling — but nothing even close to what I experienced in San Jose. I really did feel much more in my element.

The one thing I noticed, even since coming to California but especially in this part of the State, is how many Teslas are around. It’s like at any given moment, there is at least another one in sight. Supercharging stations are always busy, and I actually have to click around to see which one seems the least busy. The fact that I can choose which one to visit is definitely a luxury here in California! One day, I hope charging stations will look like this in Vancouver!

*****

I had arrived at my good friend’s home in Irvine. I realized that the last 3 days had knocked the energy right out of me, and I was ready to sleep away my life for as long as I could stand it. Comfortable bed, familiar faces, and the last week of my trip. Ready for some re-energizing!

Not a lot of plans for Southern California for now. SpaceX is a definite must (see next post!), and I’m contemplating the San Diego Zoo — one of the fondest memories from my last trip to San Diego several years ago. My brother has managed to get me entrance tickets to Disneyland and the Star Wars exhibit (totally psyched about it!). But I’m choosing a slower pace for this last week, and actually taking a vacation. :)

It’s really been a long (and wonderful) 3.5 weeks so far with Sparky! 

*****

This day’s odometre reading: 26,583 kms

KMs traveled on this road trip so far: 13,221

My referral code: somi22310





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding! :)