Tuesday, August 20, 2019

DAY 127: Oklahoma, Texas & New Mexico - HOT HOT HOT!

I’m tucked away in a my favourite AirBnB to date. 



There’s Netflix and YouTube, a coffee-maker, a room full of eclectic art, and free pizza for dinner (they offered, and I was elated because I didn’t get a chance to get any dinner).

I have resorted to AirBnB’s after 4 disastrous hotel stays along the way. At $130-150 CAD a pop, I come out smelling like every stinky motorcycle road tripper that ever existed. The floors are sometimes slippery with slime. Sometimes they are sticky with... whatever that is. They turn on the air conditioning full blast to hide the stench of a thousand unwashed guests. The complimentary breakfast is barely edible (seriously, coffee and yogurt are the only palatable items — hardly worth the additional price of the room), and getting up in the morning stinking like dirty humans means I bring the stink into the cabin of my Tesla for the morning. No thank you.

After having tried “camping” in my Tesla with such success, I wanted to resort to sleeping at rest stops for free. But my female paranoia keeps kicking in, and I have probably wasted over $1K in accommodations because I’m just not quite up to task to sleep in my car. I suspect on my way back up from California to Vancouver, I’ll do it — just because I’ve done it before, and the rest stops seem more populated and safer with families and truckers sleeping as well.

So yesterday, on a whim last minute, I chickened out of sleeping at a rest stop somewhere in Oklahoma and looked for a last minute AirBnB Superhost who would be willing to take me in. It was 8:30 PM, and the temperature outside was still 35 degrees celsius (and yes it felt it!) When I stepped into this beautiful bungalow home with whisper quiet air conditioning and an immaculately clean environment, I was sold. I proceeded to book AirBnB rooms for the rest of the week. Tonight’s AirBnB solidifies the fact that I made the right decision.

For a total of 5 days (4 different places), I am paying the same price as two nights at the yucky hotels. AirBnB had an IPO this past year. I should have gotten in on it. This is the right way to go.

But the most amazing thing about finding a place to sleep at night, is that I can’t seem to go to sleep. I’m not exhausted from the day’s driving. The combination of Nav-on-Autopilot and the rest breaks at superchargers mean I get to fully enjoy every experience that I encounter without trying. It means I get to blog and actually think through my thoughts. On days that I am tired, it’s not from driving. It’s from sightseeing and “doing vacation.” I don’t think anyone can experience road tripping like this unless you have the full FSD features in a Tesla.

Think Star Trek teleportation, and maybe you will understand how it could feel. Tesla has made that possible!

*****

Texas and New Mexico had a lot of wind. In fact, there was a portion on the highway in Texas where they posted a warning sign: “Windy, next 8 miles.” Sparky performed marvellously! I saw the big rigs swerve back and forth over the lines from the wind, and had I not realized how windy it was, it would have looked like they were drunk driving. On the few moments where I was passing a swerving truck, Sparky put on the brakes a couple of times as he anticipated the truck coming across the road line into my lane.

I remember driving in heavy wind in a gas car. You can’t use cruise control, and so you are gripping the steering wheel tightly, and constantly preparing to brake in order to brace yourself for the unpredictable gusts that come your way. It is dangerous, and drains you mentally.

In my Tesla, it was just another day on the road. Bam.

And here’s some New Mexico scenery that just ends up blowing you away when you see it for real.





When I parked at the Albuquerque Supercharger and opened the door, the gusts of wind took me by surprise. I couldn’t believe they were actually that strong! I feel very fortunate to arrive safely — not having felt any panic on the way.

Sparky, on the other hand, was probably very tired from saving my life yet again. He deserved a good rest against a beautiful New Mexico sunset.



*****

Today’s trip highlight had to be Texas. I had never been.

I will confess that I was a little nervous heading into Texas — one of two states that do not allow direct Tesla sales. I had been listening to one of my regular Tesla podcasts, with one of the hosts saying “What is wrong with truckers in Texas that why have this need to coal roll people?” When you have a daily digest of Tesla the way I do, you read and hear a lot about diesel truck owners and their aggressive protests against Tesla cars. And so I was prepared to be ICEd at a supercharger, or coal rolled on the highway.

But here’s the thing. 

When something is “media-worthy”, it is either extreme, or rare — usually both. I have met and talked with diesel truckers on my trip, and they are very proud of their trucks, but also naturally curious about how an EV can road trip across the country. On the road, the vast majority of these truckers seems to drive just a little over the speed limit (as in, they do not speed like city car slickers). They are respectful and let me go first at a turn. They hold the door open for me and smile. 

I do recognize that there is a war going on between diesel and electric engines. But I believe we can easily blow it out of proportion out of zealously. It’s been 2.5 weeks, and over 10K kms driven, and I’m just not seeing it.

So when I arrived at my first supercharger in Texas, I got the most lovely surprise possible. It was a historical landmark of the old fashioned gas station, car, car wash, and inn. 

Shamrock, Texas.

If you ever visit there, find the Shamrock supercharger (even if you don’t have an EV) and go visit. Super instagramable, and full of Texas charm. 











The brochure for this place says that this was the inspiration for Ramona’s House of Body Art in Radiator Springs for the Disney movie, “Cars.”  When you look at this car parked in the car laundry, you know exactly what that means!


I think what sticks out for me here is how this preserved statement of old time car service also agreed to have Tesla superchargers installed. Quoting from the brochure:

“The installation of a Tesla car supercharger station in 2015 again cemented the U-Drop Inn and Conoco Tower Station in history on the new electric highway.”

The juxtaposition between the past and future car service was both mind-boggling and heart-warming. Those Tesla superchargers were not only practical, but became a part of the entire historical installation — so much so that when I returned to my Tesla, someone was taking a picture of Sparky to document what they had witnessed here. Yes, Sparky became a metaphor of the changing times. I was proud.

I just want to also say how much I enjoyed being in Texas, even though it was for only a few hours. I met a friend there that I had only met through online gaming. It was surreal to meet him face to face. But that’s just what kind of options I now have driving my Tesla!

I did get to see the Cadillac Ranch art installation at Amarillo, TX. Got to spray paint it too! Hehe.







Texas hospitality is distinct and warms your soul. I was sorry that I couldn’t stay longer, but this is definitely a future trip of its own. I didn’t get to try Texas BBQ, or witness any cacti. Something to look forward to!

*****

I’ve got a major bucket list item to check off tomorrow... and I’m trying not to get sick in the stomach with my excitement. 

The Grand Canyon awaits!

*****

OH yeah, I broke the 1K per hour charging barrier yesterday. Superchargers are getting more and more powerful, and Tesla’s battery reconditioning feature really makes the charging experience go faster and faster!  Woohoo!




Can’t wait for those 15 minute V3 chargers to roll out across the country. We won’t even be able to get something to eat anymore!

*****

Today’s Odometre Reading: 23,688 kms

KMs traveled on this road trip so far: 10,326 kms (Gulp! Trying to schedule a tire rotation mid-trip!)


My referral code: somi22310





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding! :)