Sunday, August 4, 2019

DAY 111: Baseball Is All Around!

It was a long day yesterday. Started at 5:20 AM. I absolutely had to get to Chicago that night as I wanted, or risk having to sleep in another bed bug infested hotel for $100. If I felt the rest stops were safer, my sleep would be sweeter with Sparky’s silent A/C and soothing surround sound... not to mention security and locks!

I had stayed in a hotel a little off route because all of the nearby ones were full. I had no idea I booked one about 1 hour drive away! Well, it was already done, so I headed out there on this God-forsaken country road leading me away from the lights of town as the sun set behind me. In the morning when I left early, it was daunting because it was still dark and then fog set in! However, if it were me driving, I would be starting my day (without coffee, mind you!) completely freaking out and stressed out trying to see and follow the road lines. But instead, autopilot took over, and Sparky did remarkably well! I’ve come to trust that it can see what I can’t, and at full speed, I was able to navigate the blur of the road as if it was in pure daylight.

This gave me time to put on some music... and so I randomized my regular playlist. The first song that came on was “Have a Little Faith In Me” by a John Hiatt. Imagine a dark foggy road, no street lights... and barely being able to see far ahead... and hearing these lyrics:

   When the road gets dark 
   And you can no longer see 
   Just let my love throw a spark 
   And have a little faith in me

This is now Sparky’s love song to me! :)

******

I knew yesterday that it was going to be a BIG driving day. But I still had things to do.

The first, and most complicated one, was to try and meet my cousin and his family who were leaving Chicago in the morning and was heading back home to Canada. I had just found out the day before through a facebook post of his, and I was not about to let us pass each other without meeting. I had him download the Tesla app, and then (feeling safe) gave him my Tesla login information so he could tracked me as he drove. After several hours, he was able to identify a city halfway between us. 

The fun part was NO ONE in my family knew this was happening. I couldn’t wait to FaceTime my mother and freak her out! I texted her and told her to be ready in two hours for a FaceTime surprise. I called my brother to make sure she got the text, and I found out that THREE of my uncles (including one visiting from Alberta) where with her! This was too much! They were all going to witness this serendipidous moment. Yes, the surprised worked... perfectly! (Thank you, Starbucks, for having stable wifi!)



I have not seen my cousin and his family for about 6 years. They all got a chance to ride in my Tesla, and I got to show them all the fun stuff (emissions testing, Beach Buggy, etc). And he was able to take it for a drive and witness autopilot in action. Jaws dropped. It was fun.

It made me realize that no matter how much you plan your road trip, every trip will be completely different, with different adventures and life-lasting memories. One day we will be old and gray and say to my cousin “Remember the time we met in Iowa on the fly? That was crazy!” We will always have that memory to share!

*****

Even though it was getting a little late, I could not bear passing Iowa without seeing the Field of Dreams Movie Site. It was the whole reason for driving through Iowa in the first place. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint! On top of having the entire set still intact, there was a full compliment of volunteer minor league players playing a game (not common), and the corn plants were in full bloom with ears of corn... towering above my head. It was truly my field of dreams!!















*****
It’s the next day now and I still can’t believe I’m finally in Chicago. My brother was invited for a gig here to showcase his baseball princess art for Princess Day at the Cougars baseball game. There were little girls all around dressed in their princess costumes, and his stand was quite the attraction. It was a bit tiring, but also wonderful to witness my brother in action



I was also nice to catch a bit of a game... which ended in extra innings and some eventful incidences (like the batter getting pelted in the face by the pitcher by mistake).



*****

So yesterday, I drove through FIVE different States! Yes!  In order: North Dakota, Wyoming, Minnesota, Iowa, and finally Illinois. 

Tomorrow it’s all about downtown Chicago before we had to the Cubs game at Wrigley’s Field. It’s what I’ve been waiting for! I might be too tired to post a blog on it at the end, but I will certainly do it eventually!

*****

Today’s Odometre Reading: 16,505 kms

KMs traveled on this road trip so far: 3143 kms

My referral code: somi22310



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding! :)