Thursday, August 15, 2019

DAY 121: Encountering Childhood Places

After a roaring success with hosting Korean food and learning how to play Katan (finally!), I got a good night’s sleep... sort of... and hit the road in the morning to Montreal.

The only time I would have ever seen Montreal was when I was around 5 years old moving from Nova Scotia to Ontario — point being, I essentially do not know this place.

I took the main highway that was speckled with Tesla superchargers. According to Sparky, I only needed one Supercharger stop to get through my 6-hour trip to my Montreal AirBnB destination. Still, I’ve learned it’s better to stop more often and charge faster than let Sparky tell me it’s okay to arrive with 5% charge. It’s so NOT okay! (because I want to drive fast. Hehe.)

One of the stops was a lunch at Eastside Marios. Word to the wise: not real Italian. (I can already hear someone say “Duh!”)

*****

I had to stop in Kingston, Ontario... the place of my childhood. So I made sure that supercharger stop was included.

(By the way, below pictures, this is not Kingston... don't know why I didn't post accurately.)




It’s a funny thing — childhood memories. Not all details are remembered accurately. So while I struggled to try and remember which apartment on Bath Road I had lived in, and I didn’t realize that I had identified an elementary school prior to the one I needed to find in order to find our old apartment. 

Still, the elementary school was one of a few that I attended in my early years, and I can now figure out where I was on the field when one of the higher grade students took me and a couple of other outcasted students and taught us gymnastics. I grew up in an environment where racism was very real, and not addressed. And when you are the only child with slanted eyes and a flat face that anyone has ever seen, it can be hard to make friends. So walking down the hallways, seeing the hooks and shelves where we hung our school bags, and peeking into the classrooms, I got emotional. Not all memories were fond ones, but the place I am now today was unimaginable to that small girl back in the 70s. What an incredible experience to have.



On my way back, I will stop by Kingston once again and find the apartment (this time with my brother’s help from google maps)

The other stop on the way back will be 1000 Islands. I can’t wait!

*****

Sorry no kms stats again... next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding! :)