Sunday, June 2, 2019

DAY 47: The Tesla is Safer in Autopilot, Mom!

So trying to convince my mother, who is in her mid-70's and driven by "Mom-paranoia" that buying a Tesla was a good decision, I realize now is a lost cause. It's going to take a LONG time for her to understand that gas cars are going to be a thing of the past.

Yesterday, I offered to chauffer her and my cousin (who came into town for the wedding) around in my Tesla. The wedding was taking place about 10 minutes away from where I live. The location to pick up my mother was 30 minutes away... in the opposite direction!

This is what happens when you own a Tesla. Every excuse to drive is logical!

My cousin was fascinated with the idea of the Tesla. So on a short stretch of highway, I put it in Autopilot and demonstrated it taking a turn and changing lanes by itself. Immediately, my mother (with a mom-voice) said, "Drive safe! We have a guest."

Okay, I have to not take that personally. This was an opportunity to educate. I explained that we ARE safer in Autopilot. I can't see beside me and behind me at the same time as in front. And I pointed out on the screen that while I can't see the car in front of the car in front of me, obviously the computer can. And if THAT car slammed on its brakes, the Tesla would know to stop before I even knew what was going on! Then I showed blindspot detection. I also told her how in Autopilot, if anything happened to me, this car would realize that I'm not okay, slow down to a stop, and call the ambulance. Everyone in the car would stay safe and sound.

I admit, she seemed a little more convinced. Every little bit helps. It'll be a slow run, but I really believe she will come to understand how worth it the investment this car is.

The one thing she HAS accepted... allowing me to drive her around because it saves money on gas. Asian Moms! HAHA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding! :)