Wednesday, June 19, 2019

DAY 65: My Dentist Got A Tesla!

A couple years ago, I met my new dentist, and his absolutely awesome hygienist, and somehow we got on the topic of Tesla. I fan-girled it big time with the hygienist and as I talked about it, I found out the dentist was just entertaining the thought at the time. Every time I have visited, the Dr. Wong and I are talking Tesla! I heard his commute to work is long and mostly highway, so it's made to have a Tesla where you can relax and drive, and not have to waste money on gas.

Today, I went in for my 6-month cleaning and was told HE GOT HIS TESLA! When he found out I arrived, he came out right away, showed me where it was, and had plenty of questions (which of course I was more than happy to answer!). Standard Plus, red multi-coat. Beautiful! He got it literally TWO days ago! I guess he was excited to show it to me? HAHA!

He took me out to his car, and immediately saw his inner rubber trim on the windows had some beveling problems, like almost every Tesla I've seen. I showed him on the app how to make a service appointment.

His other car is a beautiful Mercedes with lots of bells and whistles, which now his wife drives. He pointed out some differences where his Mercedes seems to work better -- like the tilted side mirrors where he feels he can see more than in the Tesla. He's super eager to get self-parking to work, and I told him the tips I've learned about it. Apparently, the Tesla parallel parks faster than his Mercedes, and in his Mercedes, he can hit the brake while it's self-parking if he wants it to go slower. He did that in the Tesla the first time, and of course, it dis-engaged.

It was a real reminder today that there's just SO MUCH to learn in the car. Part of the journey is discovering so many little tid bits that you just can't get out of an initial orientation. I'm being less critical now about the short orientation at delivery. The most important part is to get the driver moving safely. The rest of the learning will come in time.

***

My software update failed yesterday. I thought I would have to wait days to get another software update notification. But today I got one at work while my car was parked in the parkade. The problem is, it had a super weak LTE connection.

I decided to try it anyway in the car. I got a video of that hack my service technician showed me where if you tap, you can make the countdown disappear.



It seemed to get stuck on the "Update in progress" screen, and then my car shutdown and turned off while I was inside. There were little bursts and bangs while I was there -- which was a little disconcerting but I've heard from other owners that it's nothing to worry about.

The scary thing is that I couldn't reboot, I couldn't start my car... I didn't know what to do. While I was trying to call Tesla for assistance, as soon as I got the automated voice answer, my car rebooted on me, and then it said "Software Update Complete"... proceeded shortly by "Update Failed". I looked at the version of my software and it shows the new software version. Not sure if I have it or not. Maybe I need to turn on Dog Mode at 20% capacity and see if I get my notifications.

My guess is that it was updating but Tesla has not programmed in a status bar (something they really need to do). Then it probably restarts on its own. All of this happens unbeknownst to me because I'm always updating it through my app in the comfort of my home.

This really proves, I'm old. I'm very tech-saavy -- especially for my age -- but I'm still scared of it! LOL!

***

Today's Odometre Reading: 6501 kms
(this means, I've driven an average of 100 kms a day since owning the car!)

If you are looking for a dentist, Morgan Heights Dental Centre in White Rock is TOTALLY worth the drive. They do not skimp and scrape on cheap cleaning crap. They actually care about the quality of your teeth care! Dr. Wong is amazing (though I heard that Dr. Alebani is as well), and my favourite Hygienist is Pat -- someone who absolutely loves her job and has the best bedside manner I've ever met!

My Referral Code: somi22310


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding! :)