Monday, June 3, 2019

DAY 49: Sparky Gets a New Turning Stalk

Had this nagging suspicion something was wrong with my turning stalk the first day I took delivery of my Model 3. I just figured I activated a setting without knowing it. But after a month, and lots of searching through all the settings, I posted in my concern in my Facebook group, and sure enough, other owners claimed the same problem and told me to call Tesla service.

If working correctly, one tap to the first resistance point will give you 3 turn clicks (for a quick lane change). Holding down the stalk to the first resistance point means you want the signal to stay on until you let go of the stalk. Pushing it all the way up or down blinks until the steering wheel makes a full turn and returns to "home position".

The issue: The left turning stalk worked fine to indicate right, but not left. When tapping down quickly to get 3 left turn blinks, the blinker would stay on as if I pushed it down all the way. Holding it down to the first resistance point was the same problem. Essentially, anytime I wanted it to stop blinking left, I would either need to make a full left turn, or turn it off manually.

Tesla Service, just like last time, came out to my place of work. This time, the guy was super friendly and efficient. The only problem is he brought a kind of mini-utility van, and it was too high to get into the parkade. So I had to let go of my charging spot (that would no doubt be taken by someone else right away), and drive out to him.


When I got to my car to pull it out of the parkade, I noticed that a software update was available. Knowing that a new software update was being pushed out lately, naturally I got excited. I later found out that the service technician (his name is Stephen) had pushed that out to my car on his way knowing that after the installation, the software would need a reboot. Oh well.

Apparently, my turning stalk problem is a known issue at Tesla and he had the part ready to go. As Elon said, Tesla has started stocking common inventory parts at their service centres so they are available right when needed. I like to think I am a benefactor of that change.

So Sparky had his wheel taken off, and I joked about how Elon would probably like it that way. I took the picture too early... because the whole thing came off COMPLETELY!


Stephen, was great to talk to. Super friendly, very polite. Listened to my incessant Tesla fan girl stories while he worked, and even showed me a great little hack. You know that 2 minute countdown before your software update starts? If you are in your car, tap the timer numerous times until the timer ticks down to zero. He says it takes quite a few taps, and he keeps forgetting how many. But eventually it will work.

I drove Sparky home from work today, and the stalk now works just like it's supposed to. I didn't realize how stressed I was turning off the left turn signal manually all the time until I consciously realized it was no longer necessary. I did it a few times just out of habit. I'll be glad to have that stress out of my driving life now.

I also found out that I only have to tap twice down to engage autopilot... not push it down twice all the way. My goodness, I'm such a spaz! Teslas are made to make you relax... somehow I didn't get that message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding! :)