Saturday, June 15, 2019

DAY 61: The Border Guard Knew To Check the Frunk!

Okay, I'm gaining respect for those bloggers who have faithfully posted regularly for years. I was told it's like a side job, and you should treat it like one. I guess it's like my "hobby" as a professional pianist -- there are just days you don't want to practice, but you have to.

***

Today was my fourth road trip/excursion in my Tesla. (Recap: Portland, Pemberton, Kelowna). It was to the lovely (and I mean it!) town of Anacortes, Washington.

Stop off the side of the road -- viewpoint and picnic tables.
***

The border guard at the border crossing took an unusually long time asking me questions while walking around the car. I say "unusually long" because I was in the NEXUS line where they just ask you one or two quick questions and shoo you through. I wasn't worried. She had her reasons.

Border Guard: Where are you going today?

Me: (2 second pause to remember where)... Anacortes.

Border Guard: What's in Anacortes?

Me: Just a day trip.

Border Guard: That's a pretty long way for just a day trip.

Me: Oh, I'm just enjoying driving my Tesla around on weekends.

Border Guard: When did you get your car?

Me: (with the Tesla smile) mid-April.

Border Guard: So I guess you are really liking your car then?

Me: Oh yeah!  :)

Border Guard: What's in your trunk?

Me: Just some shopping bags and plastic crates for when I go to Costco.

Border Guard: (BIG GRIN) And what's in your front trunk?

Me: (grinning back) Oh you know about the frunk!

Border Guard: Yeah, these cars have a lot of cargo room!

Me: Just a sunshade for my front window.

Border Guard: Have a good trip!

Warmed my heart. Gotta love it!

***

One of the reasons I'm driving all over the place (besides the 6-months of free supercharging) is because I really do enjoy driving my Tesla around. Right now, I'm treating these excursions as trial runs to prep myself for my big cross-country road trip later this summer. I'm visiting Superchargers, and seeing what my physical and mental state is after each driving interlude.

***

The Burlington Supercharger (sorry forgot to take a picture of it) is located on the I-5 just before the turn off to Anacortes. So it's a perfect place to top up -- though you will hardly need it unless you go further down south of Anacortes to Deception Pass and camp there. It's a perfect location located at a hotel where you can get something to eat and use the washroom. There's also a Bob's Burgers there -- the place I chose to get some breakfast.



They make their own ketchup?!?!
Okay, one thing I am NOT learning very fast (but desperately need to) is that I should not be filling up on greasy food and then hitting the road where I'm sitting and in a fast moving vehicle for hours. I'm not a teenager anymore -- the food just won't digest like it used to!

The two cups of crappy coffee kinda helped though. LOL!

***

Had to stop off at a viewpoint at the entrance of Anacortes (where that big "Anacortes" sign at the top of this blog is).



However, I did NOT anticipate how much I would love Anacortes. I hung out downtown where there were lots of unique boutique shops and eateries, and a nice low key vibe.

I found this absolutely charming used book store, Pelican Bay Books. If you are a book-lover, you are going to love the floor to ceiling book shelves full of books!






The seating was absolutely inviting! Sit down with a coffee and treat, or lounge on the sofas next to the piano (which I did not bravely play today, but promised I would come back with my iPad full of music and play a little something).




I strolled around downtown a bit more. It's such a quaint and inviting area, Downtown Anacortes! Antiquing, diversity of eats, an outdoor piano (I did play that one a bit, but honestly, not very good condition -- not to my surprise).



Yes! A RECORD store!


However, the downtown streets were oddly empty and open, except for the guests dining at the various eats.

Then I spotted a sign... "Farmers Market".  OOH! I HAD TO GO to that!!!


I drove Sparky nearer to the location. There's something great about going to a Farmer's Market in a smaller town. Parking is close, free, and available!!!

And there's something about driving a Tesla in a smaller town... pedestrians walk freely through the streets, and because they aren't used to electric cars, they just assume they'll hear a car coming and move. I politely followed pedestrians a couple of times, and then slowly drove past them when they were out of my way to see if I could startle them with a "Holy! I couldn't hear that car at all!"

Nope. Not today.  (chuckle)

Farmer's Market in Anacortes was.... AWESOME! I kept saying to myself, "I must come back with friends!"




Crabcakes

Fish Taco

Wood-Burning pizza oven right out of their trailer! The line ups were ridiculous for this one!


Hm, interesting Christmas Present?

Fresh-Made Pasta


***

But the attraction that brought me to Anacortes was the Tommy Thompson Trail! I slathered on my sunscreen, put on my sunhat, and walked the 1.2-mile long old train truss -- now converted to a paved walkway -- across the inlet.


The trail actually starts in Downtown Anacortes and is a 3.3 mile long trail -- one way. It's all paved and mostly flat so it's a great biking trail, particularly if you are a beginner. Me, I decided to start at the "water part" and walk. Where I parked is a huge trailer park. It made me wonder if I would be able to plug into one of the stalls if I ever needed a bit of a charge while I walked the trail. Didn't need it today, and chances are, probably a rare need with a long-range Tesla.




"We" in various languages (more on the back)

Perhaps not the most picturesque with the coal plant (one of two in sight) spewing massive amounts of CO2 into the air.



I am grateful for another wonderful trip with Sparky. He was good to me once again and took the wheel for most of the drive down.

I am living the best days of my life right now.



Odometre Reading: 6273 kms.



2 comments:

Thank you for responding! :)