Wednesday, July 3, 2019

DAY 76 & 77: Back To Portland I Go!

I realized just now that I didn't post the pictures from my first trip to Portland. I have to say that it was so amazing! I really love the vibe and diversity of the city and its vicinity. It's a place that I have to keep going back to visit over and over.

But this trip didn't go quite as planned.

But first...

***

When I crossed the border, I got another fun conversation. He asked where I was going, and I told him to Portland just for an overnight stay.  He bent his head over at my Tesla like he wanted to get a better view... and then asked:

Border Guard: Will this car make it that far?

Me: Oh yeah!

Border Guard: How many times are you going to have to charge?

Me: Once on the way down and once on the way back (I forgot to mention, I'll have to charge in Portland as well).

Border Guard: (raising his eyebrows in surprise) That's it?!?!

Me: (grinning)  Yup!

Border Guard: Have a nice trip!

***

Honestly, I used to think that a drive to Portland feel like an eternity, and my head would be completely ready to burst when I got there. Now, it feels heading to a friend's house in the next town over. I look forward to driving (if you can call using Autopilot true driving). My driving plans are made up of:

1. Where am I gonna charge, and what will I do when I get there.
2. What am I going to listen to in between stops.

Yup, that's it! I don't have to go study the map for the exit. I just let Sparky take me where I want to go!

I've been purposely visiting different supercharger locations whenever I had the opportunity. I didn't get any pictures of the Centralia Supercharger (which was actually quite good... except for the scary mystery meat in my Taco Bell meal...)

I have wonderful pictures from the Arlington Supercharger, and finally submitted my first Supercharger review to the Now You Know network of Supercharger Reviews.









***

I've come to really appreciate Air BnB, and locating superhosts in these areas where I want to visit. Out of the three I've been to in Portland, I've only met one of the hosts. The others are such a well-oiled machine in process, that I just let myself in, read the welcome letter and rules, go to sleep, and then take off in the morning. For an introvert like me, I love it!

This trip, I had only a few hours to spare... just enough time to buy my iPad (long story, but it's a bonus that Portland doesn't have sales tax!). I had to pick a place for breakfast, and one for lunch.

Unlike my last trip to Portland, this one was full of disappointments. Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE this city. But all my plans were foiled somehow.

My first stop would be Screen Door for some chicken and waffles. I was SO looking forward to this place, and fortunately arrived about 5 minutes before it opened. (Okay, that part went well!).


It is at the corner of the block with a little outdoor waiting area, and covered eating area outside... that's where I just HAD to be!!


I looked over the menu... and practically drooled!


I'm not sure what happened, but maybe I got so overly distracted, that I ended up ordering what I thought was going to be chicken and waffles with their signature sauce... and instead ordered the biscuit and sauce with eggs. It was... good. It wasn't... what I came for. Strike One for food. Must go back and do it right!

***

I headed to downtown Portland to go buy the iPad Pro that I had been dreaming about for 2 years. It was time to seal the deal!!

The Apple Store in downtown Portland is incredible. I mean, seriously... THIS is how it's done!


I didn't have enough time really to stay and take the public workshop on GarageBand (ooh I would have loved that!)

My next meal... lunch... absolutely had to be Nong's Khao Man Gai Food Cart. I mean, every food blog and travel vlog that I saw pointed to this food cart. I couldn't leave Portland without trying it.

I walked around and around... I was pulling out my phone to even follow Google Maps. Alder and 9th Avenue... I walked all around that block. I finally had to go to Target to use their wifi to figure out what was going on.




NNOOOOOO!!!!! I couldn't believe it.

Well, I just HAD to find out what happened to the place, and found a store location for it. I walked even more (I didn't mention that it was getting really hot!), and I found it.



Okay, so I want to be nice. It's decent. It's quaint. But when you have Caucasian hipsters making your Asian food, and serving it with the bottled-version of the sauce, it's not quite the same. The soup was amazing, and they did it reasonable justice. But it really wasn't quite what I was looking for. Then again, maybe this IS the food cart version, and I would have been disappointed anyway.

But I kept good spirits. It WAS good. It just wasn't what I was anticipating. Well, that's okay. Strike Two for food.

***

To redeem it, I decided that I would give Blue Star Donuts another try. I had seen some reviews about the Creme Brulee donut and I recall seeing it last time. So I decided, "Let's Do It!". So I walked in the heat towards the store, and lined up inside.



Ho ho!! The samples came out just when I got there in line!
And then I saw it....

NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!



Yup! Strike Three for food. This was the kind of day I was having.

Then I thought this looked intriguing.


You would think this is what I got, right? Nope. I got the Apple Cider Fritter. Sounds good? Believe me, the name is all it had going for it. It was just... okay.

***

Okay, so it's time to go see the famous Portlandia Iron Statue -- largest iron statue in North America. Ooh I was excited!

This is what it's supposed to look like:



And this is what I saw...


(insert pouting face here)

***

At this point, there was NO FREAKING WAY I was going to let anything else turn this day into a dud. There was one place I knew I had to go... and I looked forward it all week!



Yes! I had to go to Pip's Donuts and get their dozen mini donuts and a Ginger Rogers Chai Tea! It was the only acceptable way to end this day!!





And you KNOW I'm coming back down for this!!!


***

I headed back home in Sparky after this, chomping on my delectable donuts and sipping my ginger chai tea. I had one of my favorite podcasts going, and I was just so happy to be back on the road.

It has taken me a few trips now to figure out how to best hold the wheel without getting a weary arm. I think I figured out a way to bring my knees up enough to rub against the wheel, and then rest my left hand on top of my knee just enough to hold the wheel and give it a bit of resistance. Best option so far. I've seen a picture in one of the Facebook groups of a guy just using his knee to hold the wheel... I think I get that genius now!

***

I did end my trip with a VERY bad surprise. I suspected something about one of the superchargers when I picked up the plug at it was almost too hot to handle. When I pressed the button, it wouldn't open my charger. Instead of moving on to another one, I opened the chargeport through the centre screen in the car, and then proceeded to plug in.

When I got to the next supercharger, I noticed something was very wrong with my charging port...


The plastic casing had broken (or melted?) off and the metal was exposed. I didn't know what to do. I was still getting a good charge from the Supercharger. But the next day at work, it wouldn't charge using my adapter.  That means... having to drive to a Supercharger every time I needed a top up. 

At this point, I don't know if I'm supposed to be upset, or super excited I have more excuses to drive Sparky!  Don't judge me! HAHA!


I put in a service appointment, and at the same time, I'll get my wheels rotated. Yes after two-and-a-half months, it's already time to rotate my tires!!! (Every 9,000 kms, I'm told!) It's important I do this before I head out to my road trip in August.

***

Odometre Reading after the trip: 8733 kms

My Referral Code: somi22310

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding! :)