Monday, July 15, 2019

DAY 91: Nope, I'm Not Tired, Mom.

So after a complete failure last Sunday at trying to go to the States (virtually impossible with all of the July 4th visitors getting great deals with their strong US Dollar in Canada), I decided to try going to Bellingham again yesterday. At the last minute, I told my Mom, and she said "Can I come?"

Sure. :)

It turns out, she's an old pro at pointing out where to go in the Pacific Northwest. Sorry, Sparky, but I have an navigator upgrade!  Well, she couldn't choose the best route based on traffic reports, but still pretty good.  Here's a great tip... if you are headed to Bellingham, ditch the Pacific and Blaine Border Crossing. Go to Aldergrove, which heads almost directly to Bellingham in almost half the time. I was seriously amazed.

My mom's been skeptical about my Tesla. When I first got it, she felt like it was over-priced, over-hyped (by me), and dangerous. But over time, and lots of conversations about owning it, she's coming around.

The best part is not being stressed out as I drive. We can have a calm conversation (not like my usual anxiety-driven ones), and just enjoyed the ride. In fact, she enjoyed it so much that every time I suggested we should head back, she kept wanting to go somewhere else. "I'm having too much fun to go home!" Seriously, NEVER heard her say that before.

And being almost 75 years old, she said she normally isn't comfortable in car seats. But my Tesla seats were the most comfortable ones she ever sat in. She warmed my heard with those words! That, and her surprise that after a long day of driving, I was not showing any weariness.

Mom: Aren't you tired? You drove a lot!

Me: Nope! That's why I go on road trips so much!

I realized that she has heard every weekend about how I have been driving everywhere. But she's never witnessed what it's like... that I barely even felt like we drove anywhere, even though we must have driven for about 3 hours total. I might has well have just popped over to the corner store!

She even forgave me for going all the way down to Fairview area just to eat a donut!




Okay so seriously, those Rocket Donuts don't look like much, but they were so delicious. The Raspberry jelly donut.... the contents were both incredibly flavourful and generous. I loved it!!

If you haven't seen the Fairview area in Bellingham, it's totally worth a visit. About 3 short blocks packed with boutique shops and great places to eat.

***

I purchased a tire repair kit from Tesla in preparation for my August road trip.

https://shop.tesla.com/ca/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x_3-tire-repair-kit.html
I am hoping I won't need to use it. But I want to be safe.

I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to save money on sleep and accommodations. I was sure I was going to use AirBnB, but honestly, I don't want to book ahead of time and be limited to arriving at a destination every day just in case something causes me to wanna stop and pause.

My brother did call me on Saturday (about 2 minutes after I arrived at the Hope Supercharger... what timing!) and we worked out our plans. I'm so excited to go to Chicago, and it'll be nice to have family with me. I will have spent 3-4 days all alone driving (okay, I guess Sparky will be with me), but it'll be nice to see a familiar face and hang out in Chicago before I head to Toronto. He's going to take me to Wrigley's Field to see a Cubs game (okay, I'm SO crazy excited!), and suggested I check out the "Field of Dreams" stop in Iowa on the way over. DOES HE KNOW ME OR WHAT!?!?!

*****

I have two weekends left to road trip before I leave for my big road trip. But I'm nervous about my service appointment on August 23rd. I am hoping with all my might that they don't need my car longer than a day or two. If they have to keep it into August, I may have to decline (except for the tire rotation), and risk only using superchargers until I get back in September.

For the first time, I'm actually REALLY nervous that Tesla Service won't pull through for me.  I hope they prove me wrong!

*****

Today's Odometre Reading: 10,351 kms


-->My Referral Code: somi22310


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding! :)