Monday, July 22, 2019

DAY 97: Up, Up and Up to Bridal Veil Falls

No sooner had I come back from Seattle, and from a brutal (for me) one-hour hike up a steep path from a waterfall, that I just had to go see yet another waterfall nearer to Vancouver. I headed out with a couple of friends to Bridal Veil Falls.


This is about 30 minutes east of Chilliwack, BC. The Tesla Navigation (based on Google Maps) will not mark you at the Car Park for the hike to the waterfall, but will send you closer to Camp Bridal or to the Camper Park. You will need to go in and physically mark the spot yourself.

If you were unaware that you could create your own "pin" location for your Tesla to navigate to, here's some quick instructions.

First, locate the exact spot you want on the map.


On that spot, hold your finger on the screen until the a window pops up marking the spot. In that window, tap the "navigate" button. And off you go!

*****

One of the friends who came with me has now had her Tesla for almost 2 months. She was curious about a few things, but honestly, sounded like an old pro. She confirmed that I really do post A LOT on the Facebook groups (LOL), and had some questions. But it was nice to talk about Tesla stuff that wasn't for newbies or non-owners. I could talk to another Tesla owner about new stuff coming up.

She will take a road trip with her Standard Range Plus to Whistler shortly. I warned her that the Whistler supercharger is super expensive because of the parking ($7.50 for the first half hour!... CMON!) and that it's much better to stop at Squamish and charge up there first. She asked if she would need to charge to 100%, and I told her definitely not!!

Rule of Thumb for me: Never charge to 100% unless you believe you will actually need it. So for situations where I know the car will probably sit around losing power through phantom drain (like at the campground I'll be at for days in August), maybe I'll charge up to 100%. But to Whistler? I think she will recognize quickly that it's unnecessary.

Range anxiety is an interesting habit that takes a long time to break. Most of the initial anxiety has been shed, but remnants of it still exist, and continue to erode away as I take more and more trips.

*****

Bridal Veil Falls... Beautiful! Of course, another steep walk up (about 15 minutes), and then when you get to the point where you can see the Falls, there's another few metres of pure climbing to get right next to the Falls... almost on your hands and knees! I had tackled that 1 hour hike up a steep path the day before... I was ready for another challenge. Can't believe I did it!!



These are just amazing trips that I had never thought to venture to.

The fact that I am exerting myself phyically without worry of over-taxing my mental state for the drive, is liberating. I mean, I don't think to myself that I may be too tired to drive, because Sparky is driving, not me!

I was given some advice, however, to stop referring to Sparky as my new (and improved) boyfriend, and just refer to him as my pet.

(sorry, Sparky... I apologize on her behalf. You are not a pet.)



*****

Tomorrow, I take Sparky to Tesla Service to finally fix the chargeport. I'm told that it will only take the day.

Many complain about how bad Tesla Service seems to be. This is my third service appointment, and I've had incredible experiences every time... expecting this to be the same. Looking forward to reporting when Sparky is back home tomorrow evening.

While I've enjoyed to a certain extent having an excuse to drive to a supercharger to charge up once a week instead of going home, I'll be happy to be able to charge again at work with my adapter (which stopped working when the chargeport problem happened).

*****

Today's Odometre Reading: 11,581 kms

My Referral Code: somi22310


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding! :)