Tuesday, July 9, 2019

DAY 85: Yes, Autopilot is Safe -- WAY Safer Than Humans!

Ben Sullens of Teslanomics released another video today... with one of the greatest teaser starts I've seen in a YouTube Video in a long time!



This was thrilling to watch, and sobering. I never want to find myself in a situation like this where Sparky is in a position to have to save my life... or save himself from damage. But when the moment happens, I have much more faith that Sparky will figure out what to do before I even know what's about to happen.

There are times when I get the loud three-beep alert in my Tesla, having no idea what triggered it. When I glance at the screen, I see the car in front of me marked red. The first few times, I thought to myself "Technology is so buggy!" But then I remember that the car can detect so much more than I can. It's possible that two cars in front of my momentarily hit their brake harder than usual, but not enough to make the car in front of me do anything. If it happened to be a problem, my Tesla was ready to react!

I'm surprised how some humans would ever think they could drive a one-ton fast moving machine much better than another machine. We are so lazy, irresponsible, and arrogant. We only need one small moment of blind error to change our lives permanently for the worse. And yet somehow, we have been institutionalized into thinking we are better drivers.

When I'm in full Autopilot, particularly on the highways, it makes me a much better observer of what's going on around me. And almost without fail, I am watching drivers swerve side to side in their lane, sometimes even driving on or over the lane markings. And I think "My gosh, they can't all be drunk or tired. This is how humans actually drive!"

A bad case in point (exceptionally bad):



I captured this footage on the Sea-to-Sky Highway on my way to Squamish this past Saturday. The roads were wet, and there was NO WAY I was going to attempt to pass!

Having used Autopilot now pretty much every day for the last 85 days, I can say with certainty that now when I decide to take the wheel, I am that much less confident that I can drive more safely that my car. Why do I take over? I know that Autopilot is still in Beta. I know that city roads are not where it best performs. In fact, there's still a while to go before our Tesla's can confidently wade its way through the infinite edge cases of the real world, and the idiot humans that inhabit it.

But Autopilot is improving with every software update, and we are getting there... to full autonomous driving, I mean. Until then, the times I can use Autopilot, I have come to understand that I AM safer with it engaged. And when I add to that the fact that I'm in the safest car in the world, should something happen? It's a great feeling!

***

Today's Odometre Reading: 9390 kms


-->My Referral Code: somi22310


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding! :)